I'm at 70,000 words and may hit 75,000 today. Schedule for completion (baring unforeseen circumstances) is as follows:
- First draft completed July 31, 2013
- First round of revisions leading to draft two completed by August 15, 2013 (which is frankly a bit aggressive, but I'll try).
- Send the book to my editor extraordinaire by August 16, 2013.
- Send the book to my beta readers August 16, 2013.
- Tweak eBook format while out to editing for Kindle.
- Re-read while out to editing (by this time I'm pretty well sick of it!)
- By September 1st (if my editor can make the timeline) revise and correct and receive beta reader feedback.
- Format for Kindle, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords for distribution.
- Upload final version no later than September 15, 2013 if at all possible. Please understand that this date is contingent upon my editor's availability and my sanity.
- After September 15, 2013 - Format print version interior content.
- Work full book cover front/back for print version.
- Upload to Lightning Source, my print-on-demand printer and order proof copy.
- Wait for proof copy and receive within one week.
- Read proof copy (you have no idea the things you may have missed when you see it in print).
- Make any corrections to print or eBook needed.
- Sign off on print version.
- Distribution begins to all channels for sales in print worldwide.
- Register copyright with US copyright office.
- Market, market, market.
"Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout with some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand.” ― George Orwell